maybe once or twice I wasn't fair I wasn't nice

I have a situation. Let there be three people: X, Y and Z.

X and Y are really close friends. Z is either a person Y dislikes, or possibly a person that Y is having a discussion/argument with (a discussion in which you can take sides).

Now Y and Z are talking. X has a little chime (definitely chime intensity of less than 10, since they were close friends).

X will be unnecessarily mean to Z, or sides unnecessarily strongly with Y (to the point that they're not even listening to Z). This isn't done because X feels that Y is indubitably right, or that X feels that Z is indubitably wrong.

This is done to gain the approval of Y.

I'd say that people who engage in this kind of behaviour are:
a) Close, but not long, or overly secure friends
b) Are not ones I would call "good people"

To justify point a). If you were truly good, solid friends, you should be able to express your own opinion and be respected for it. If I may bring back the confusing pronumeral-people, X should be able to side with Z, and not fear that Y will think much of it. Because Y should respect X for whatever he/she thinks, regardless of whether it agrees with Y.

And RE: point b) - I'm not playing angel here; I know I'm guilty of doing this. I bet you are too. It's something that happens. I think it's human nature. It's why a dude getting hit in the balls is so funny.

Conclusion - Other people (that you can't relate to) getting hurt is inconsequential and all in good fun.

And I'm guilty of approving of people who agree with me. It feels so sinfully good when I rage and people are like "YEAH I KNOW RIGHT?!"

Conclusion - everybody loves hearing that their opinion has at least one supporter. Even if that opinion is a not-so-nice one.


This whole situation - It's unnecessary, but oh-so-necessary at the same time. We know we shouldn't be doing it... but can we afford not to?

0 comments:

Post a Comment