chimes 103




















This looks funzies! I'll try to answer this sincerely, without resorting to lame jokes 8D

I think I'll do 5 a day.

1) Sexual Orientation
Straight
2) What I'm really bad at
Using my time effectively
3) The one person who's arms I'd like to be in
I'm not in a selectively huggy mood atm. Anyone who needs one/is willing to give one is fair game :L
4) My Best First Date
I've only have one first date. We watched Paranormal Activity 2 =D
5) A description of my self esteem
Probably too high bahaha.


Now to the good part (This is the tale! Of the Captain Jack Sparrow! Yeah nevermind :L)
Internet chimes are another dimension of chimes. I wrote this with mainly Facebook in mind.

Some factors you need to consider
[R] Relevance%
[N] Amount of previous messages in the conversation
[M] Average number mutual friends
[P] The publicity of the place (scale of 1-Private to 10-Almost too public)
[T] Number of participants in previous conversation

This comes together in the formula
(N/R)*M / (PT)

Allow me to explain this
Relevance is easy to calculate. If some guy is discussing going to the snow with a friend, and a chime goes
"I've skied at Thredbo too"
Well assuming the dudes were talking about Thredbo in the first place, this would be about 95% relevance. It's very difficult to get 100% relevance because if you're even somewhat interesting, you would be presenting new information to the conversation. But it he was like
"Fish fingers are simply the best"
Then he gets about a 10% relevance. Well... hey. They're both frozen, okay? 8D

Amount of previous messages in the conversation is self explanatory. Imagine a conversation that is 3 days long, and some dude read all of it and chucked a comment in. The longer a conversation goes for, the more exclusive it becomes. And not to mention the creep-factor of the dude reading wall-to-wall.

The average number of mutual friends is calculated by adding the number of mutual friends the chime has with each of the previous conversation participants, then dividing by the number of of participants. You know, standard averaging drill. It would be uberawkward if a dude with 2 mutual friends came up to one of my conversation and said something. But if the dude had 120 mutual friends with the person I was talking to, I'd think - hey fair enough. At least he knows one of us (mutual friends are a general indicator of how well they know you). I don't need to explain much more do I?

The publicity of the place
is quite important. Say if you were in private message, and for some reason a dude can chime in. You'd be like WHAT THE HELL IS THIS CRAP?! A private message (ie you'd think nobody else can see) sits on about a 1.
A semiprivate message such as a wall post is about a 3-4. It isn't private as balls, but there is a certain exclusivity. If you look at most wall posts, it's not a comment about the person's profile as much as a conversation about something.
A photo is about a 7. It is somewhat difficult to find, but the comments are rarely conversations, and photos are quite well promoted by Facebook's feeds.
A status update is a 9. It's public as dirty toilets and you should not be surprised if anyone comments on it.
I'd say to hit a true 10, you shouldn't be too worried about chimes. I'm thinking massive boards like 4chan. You can't possibly think "shit what a chime" in a place so public that you would rate it a 10.

Number of participants dilutes the power of the chime. If you were in a verbal orgy previously, who's going to notice if another one slips in?
However if it was an intimate one-on-one, you'd stand out like a third wheel (on a bicycle. A third wheel is nothing special on tricycles and cars and whatnot). Lol jokes you ARE a third wheel.

IIRC these chime results match up and can be used on the same scale as the formula given during chimes 102. So calculate away, convert across mediums media! (cannot all you grammar/english Nazis did not pick that one up =D)

Your next period of instruction on this topic will be here, and we will cover Chimes - Strategies and Tactics (hopefully)

2 comments:

cloudier said...

I don't think I've eaten fish fingers since primary school ._.

jwhero said...

Great to see people latching onto the big picture here xD

Ahaha yeah I haven't eaten fish fingers until recently - my parents bought a convection oven and are now using it for every second meal :L

That being said, it does cook meat extra nicely =)

Post a Comment