stupid people

You know how there's cute stupid and there's annoying stupid. I always knew there was some definitive factor that separates the two, and only today did I stumble upon the key ingredient.

And that ingredient is confidence. Well, confidence isn't the right word... it's more like arrogance.

Let's say I'm in a conversation about something I am quite knowledgeable on (if I do say so myself xP), such as Cadets or guitar:

When I hear people saying something dead wrong, but without any hint of doubt, it annoys the shit out of me, and I'm quite sure everyone else. Let's say that they say (shaking their head like no tomorrow if anyone disagrees):
A: "There aren't any Navy or Air Force Cadets" *shake head* *shake head*
B: "But..."
A: *shake head*

...You know the type

Well I guess that's not such a retarded mistake to make. I don't see why people would know that Navy and Air Force Cadets exist. But the fact you're saying it with such certainty annoys the complete dick out of me. Hypothetically, I would feel like strangling them if someone made a mistake like that, and when I try to correct them, they shake their fucking head. Neck = gone.

If you want another example, I met a girl on courses who argued with me about the usage of an apostrophe in its/it's. By the way, on the document, the apostrophe was used in a possessive "its", so I was like NUUUU.
So she argued with me that apostrophes were always used for possessive. Which is kinda true EXCEPT FOR THE WORD ITS.
And so this would've been great if she didn't ask me how to spell "series" like 2 minutes later.
Btw I wasn't raging at her, either because she was pretty cool compared to SOME PEOPLE (people who know the dude already know who I'm talking about), or I was just too damn sleep deprived to give any fucks.

Like even if I weren't knowledgeable on the topic, us Rusian's aren't bad at sniffing out complete bullshit. I mean, in HSIE and English, we live, breathe, think bullshit, so we're pretty good at recognising it in others. So if you're all confident and making up shit to your friends, please fucking stop. Cos we can all tell you know nothing about it, but for some reason you must assert that you know something, if not everything about it. Just stop.

Nextly is when, when I'm developing something, and I don't give people who aren't developing that thing, all the information.
So let's say I'm developing a Cadet activity (I'm happy with using Cadet activity because a. we haven't properly planned anything and b. Brian and Johnny are great to work with. Can't say the same about all other groups I work with though).
So Cadet activity. Let's say it was an obstacle course. I am telling my peer that I will be using a few bags to run an obstacle course.
I don't say WHEN I'm running it, WHERE I'm running it, HOW LONG I'm running it for, or HOW MANY bags I am using.
Certain assholes take it upon themselves to fill in that information themselves, and criticise it.
"This is example of asshole" [And these will be my thoughts, often said aloud]
"You can't run it in the morning, it will be too cold" [After due consideration we have moved the activity to the afternoon like 5 DAYS AGO]
"Isn't it dangerous to do it near the fence?" [I have never thought about that. Yes maybe it would be... Just another reason to keep the activity exactly where the hell it is.]
"You're not going to get through everyone if it's 10mins long..." [Yeah. 10 mins is pretty long eh. I totally remember telling you it was going to be 10 minutes long.]

EDIT: I was using the <symbols> before and it read it as HTML and disappeared =(. So here's the full essence of my post, now in [brackets]

This is an exaggerated example of people extrapolating and telling me why "my" plan sucks. But obviously I'm not going to use any real life examples :L
I hope this isn't too far-fetched that you can't see where I'm coming from; I may come up with a better example soon.


And nextly, on a different note (or chord. LOL ME SO PUNNY) here's my newest acoustic song - HAPIHEW. Yeah I changed it a bit cos now it sounds less gay =)
Note the strategic product placement...
Thanks to (in the order I see their names on the card) - Yip, Brian, Saj, Ray, Mic, Tom, Samuel, Sun, Max (wait I want to remove "idiocy" please 8D), Sun (... were you smoking?), Tree and Kerry. And according to that hugeass portrait, also myself :L
And thanks to Monica for Pierre-Claude Branxton =)


Like I said in the description - sorry for the stupid head movements, did not realise they would look so stupid on camera xP.
Btw in case you haven't worked it out, you can figure out what HAPIHEW stands for. And it's in this very blog post!

P.S. - Thank you guys for 10k views! What can I say, you guys are awesome xP (and gals, if you insist)

23 comments:

Lily said...

great post.

i definitely agree with your views - people who talk or write about things they clearly know nothing about annoy me incredibly, as do stupid, arrogant people who find it necessary to assert that they know everything about a subject.

hypocrites are also annoying.

jwhero said...

Is this the Lily Liu as in the one that graduated last year?

Or is this someone else :L

Either way, HI and thanks =)

monica said...

HE IS IN YOUR VIDEO.
BAHAHHAHA.

jwhero said...

YEAH, RIGHT? =D

And if Max looks carefully, that mushroom he gave me a few years ago is also in there!

Anonymous said...

maybe the person who writes things they don't know about don't know they don't know about it very well. i think that people shouldn't get annoyed or pissed of at other people who do these things because you never know, those "offenders" may have a good intention!

jwhero said...

How can you "not know" whether you are knowledgeable about a topic or not.

If you have been taught, you know it. If you have not, then you don't.

Like, what is this, I don't even.

I can't even begin to comprehend what the hell you think you mean.

Anonymous said...

but they could mistakenly think what they are saying is right. say if they heard from many ppl (who were incorrect) that the obstacle course was 10mins, and naturally assumed that it WAS 10mins. in fact, they might even decide to clarify why the hell you made it 10mins, hence making that statement to your face.

jwhero said...

And so they present it to me with utmost arrogance.

Without a doubt as to their second-hand, second-rate information.

Sounds legit.

Anonymous said...

well how can you say all the knowledge and information in the wise head of yours isn't "second-hand, second rate", and arrogantly say that you are right and they are wrong.

why don't you reverse the situation and think, well, what if i am arrogantly shaking my head at them and i'm actually in the wrong? it's not as if you've never made a mistake in your entire life.

on the note of stupid...

is "nextly" even a word? because you used it up there after raging at other people with shitty english.

just sayin'

jwhero said...

Haha well.

I'm giving examples of things I PERSONALLY MADE UP.
ie the obstacle course. *I* own that idea, and nobody in the fucking world can tell me that I don't know my own idea.

Secondly, I usually ask my question submissively. ie actually asking "I heard you were running it for 10 minutes. Is this true?". Because I am not the master of the goddamn universe I am allowed to put myself in the submissive role in conversations if I am asking a question.

Nextly is not a word, I use it often in my blog posts for the fun of it.
Sue me, thanks.

Anonymous said...

you know jeff, i think you are so cool and right in everything you say. there is no way in the world you could ever make a mistake in anything you say and your knowledge is flawless to a t. you epitomise coolness. you are the shizz.

jwhero said...

Hahaha I DO remember saying that I know everything and that everything I say is correct!

Oh wait, did you just insult me about something that you pulled out of nowhere and just assumed?

Isn't that ironic.

anon2 said...

Male brains are separated into more distinct hemispheres than women, due to being flooded with testosterone as a foetus.
Now this results in men being more able to more completely separate emotion and logic (well at least to me, when I watch a guy and a girl argue, the girl very rarely makes sense). It's also more unlikely that something that happened at work will hardcore-ly negatively impact family relationships. Conversely, it can mean guys being douchebags and bad at empathy stuff.

As women have more joined hemispheres, they are better at empathy and communication. This is when they're not upset. When they're upset everything just gets fucked up and you might as well be talking to a moose. This also reduces rational thought under fear - it's not just the right side of brain going OH SHIT while the left side thinks about running away. It's the whole brain going OH SHIT and then cringing and squeezing eyes shut and internally hoping that the danger will pass (usually doesn't). But yeah the relatively joined hemispheres would do wonders for semi-creative, semi-logical subjects like English =D

sounds
legit.

jwhero said...

Wow anons seem to love that post.

Well okay. Present a better model to me. I've heard people say that it's "wrong", without providing constructive feedback.

So if you could kindly amend that statement?

Anonymous said...

it's ok to be annoyed, but i reckon when you are annoyed at someone, remember: think twice because there may be a misunderstanding.

cloudier said...

"How can you "not know" whether you are knowledgeable about a topic or not.

If you have been taught, you know it. If you have not, then you don't."

people who are incompetent often overestimate their skill compared to other people because they have not learnt standards to compare themselves against. additionally, competent individuals assume that others have an equivalent understanding so they underestimate their own skill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

jwhero said...

But Claudia, the first thing it says on the page is "...cognitive bias in which unskilled people..."

anon2 said...

to be honest i'm not sure what you want me to provide you a model of - why a girl in an argument "very rarely makes sense"? why girls seem to completely suck under fear? but anyway two sections

BRAIN HEMISPHERES
although brain lateralisation has been observed it is by no means as black and white as you say it is - rather than being split into "logical", "creative" and/or "emotional" they separate more specific functions e.g. the right side deals with coordination, understanding and remembering the things we do, etc. while the left side does analysis of information and understanding and using language. i haven't found anything on the internet about males having more joined hemispheres due to being flooded with testosterone, or the effects of having physically more distinct or joined hemispheres (correct me if I’m wrong).

GENDER DIFFERENCES
there are a few differences between male and female brains: to name a few, men have a greater brain size and more brain cells (due to larger body and muscle size: this does not suggest men are more intelligent); women have more advanced neural communication; and women have a greater orbitofrontal (which regulates emotions) to amygdale (which produces emotional reactions) ratio, suggesting that they are better at controlling their feelings. women also have a larger corpus collusum, meaning they can transmit messages between different brain hemispheres more easily (though this study has been disputed). however, this does NOT mean that they are unable to separate emotion and logic, or that they suck at running away or something (seeing as the different hemispheres don't work like that) - it only means that they have greater access to both sides of the brain. and as i've said, i haven't found anything about the flooded with testosterone thing or any of its effects.

cloudier said...

@ jeff
i don't see what you're getting at
basically the article is saying that some people are so incompetent they dont realise that theyre incompetent

jwhero said...

HUH I SWEAR I REPLIED. OKAY.

@anon2
I had an article and all but really...
a) I don't support that tone that I posted. I haven't for a long time.
b) You're an anon and really not worth anyone's time.

@claudia
Ahh I previously thought you were defending people against my post. But from your tone and the article, are you just contributing to the mocking by providing a scientific article :L

cloudier said...

haha nah I'm just defending people against your post while insulting them at the same time 8D
let me rephrase
some people are so incompetent that they think they know a lot about a topic they actually know nothing about. so they're in a state of 'not knowing' (that they know nothing about a topic) which, in your article, you say that you think this is impossible. the cognitive bias part is where they think they know a lot about something when the reality is that they don't.
sorry about the confusing wording xP

jwhero said...

Ahh I think I get it now!
So you've proved that, contrary to my previous belief, it IS possible to not be aware that you are not knowledgeable at all in that subject.
But the prerequisite is that you have to be extremely incompetent and unskilled first, which really shouldn't be much consolation to the titular "stupid people"
Did I finally get this right? :L

cloudier said...

yeahp :D

Post a Comment