frequent flyer

Buying shit so you have points to buy more shit is pretty good. If you're in the fence between two supermarkets, this rewards system may tip you over to the supermarket with the rewards system. However, if one supermarket sells its products for 10% more than the other, then you would choose the cheaper one, regardless of which one has a rewards system.

Which makes the iPhone somewhat beautiful. It's not a rewards system, it's just a massive trap. I can't remember if I've blogged about this before, but look at how genius it is!
-You buy an iPhone or iPod touch.
-You think "Damn I would like to have Fruit Ninja"
-You buy Fruit Ninja
-You then go "Damn I would like to have Doodle Jump"
-You buy Doodle Jump
-etc
-At the end of the month you think "Damn I spent about $20 on games"
-etc
-At the end of the year you think "Damn I spent about $100 on applications!"
-When it is time to change your handset you think "Hmm what phone should I choose? But WAIT! If I buy an iPhone, I can continue using all these handy apps and funzies games! Why not get an iPhone!"
-You pay about $1,000 and get your phone.
-Then you're like "Shit" because other phones of similar quality are much cheaper. And really, are the apps worth it? Who knows. But all you know is that it feels like a waste to buy a new phone and let your iTunes account waste itself.


And how can I resist into linking this to relationships :L As I've heard one too many times, "relationships are not about the rewards". Well I say screw you. Allow me to make my point, and then feel free to flame me.

On the premise that a perfect relationship means:
-Little to no arguments.
-Having perfectly matching sets of values and beliefs.
-Freedom from being judged by the significant other.
-100% security.
-Being able to communicate clearly and effectively, without any awkward moments due to awkward wording.
-Knowing how they are feeling, or how they would react to certain situations.
-Knowing what exactly makes them happy, makes them laugh, or makes them want to rip your head off (and subsequently avoiding those things lol)

Then it is clear that a perfect relationship is when you are single and only have to deal with yourself. How often do you argue with yourself, challenge your own morals, judge yourself, threaten to leave yourself, misunderstand what you're thinking, misinterpret what you're feeling, or pulled a joke on yourself that you thought was funny but actually caused you to threaten to leave yourself?

But it's obvious that there is something completely unfulfilling about being single for the rest of your life. There is something appealing about having an imperfect, two-person relationship over a perfect one-person relationship. And I'll be damned if that shit ain't some sort of reward.

A relationship shouldn't be a chore. It's not like "fuck I better do this or they'll be mad." That doesn't make a good relationship. That's how slaves react to the people holding the whips and forcing them to harvest the corn. It's more like "now wouldn't they be happy if I did this!". A mindset like this is the driving force behind a happy relationship. That's the difference between flying high in the sky and another bird struggling to stay above the surface of the dark, cold ocean, ready to drown itself at the slightest unfavourable gust.
But why the hell would you be charitable for absolutely no reason at all?

Now don't take me wrong. It's not like I think being selfless is wrong. When I donate to charity for "no reason at all", it's really not that. I do feel like I'm contributing to making a difference, and as a result I feel some pride and accomplishment. Now even though I am getting no physical, social, financial benefit from donating, I do feel happier. And that in itself is my reward. If done in the right way for the right people, being selfless is its own reward.

I personally don't think it's possible to be nice without gaining some reward from it. Whether you believe in karma, or "what goes around come around", I think being randomly generous makes me feel like a good person, and that kind of moral security is a reward. I could help someone pick up something they've dropped, and their smile and thankyou is my reward. I don't see any problem with considering these little things as "rewards".

Relating back to relationships, they are a sacrifice of time, freedom, money, and what else have you. But all those sacrifices can be made in a way that it feels like a reward.
All these sacrifices are made so the other person can be happy. And if you guys have the relationship nicely sussed out, making the other person happy is a surefire way of lifting your own mood too.

I mean, isn't it rewarding to know you're the reason she smiles every day?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dopamine and serontonin.

jwhero said...

I am proud? Good work? What was your intended purpose in posting that?!

Post a Comment