learn to fly

I was talking to Yip today, about stuff like selective test and primary school and stuff like that.

Remember when we read books on dinosaurs and aeroplanes and the Universe and forests and bugs and electricity and on and on and on? Not because we were going to be tested on it, but because we were curious? Because we wanted to?

We no longer learn because we like to. We learn to succeed in exams. We don't give a shit about what's outside our syllabus.

If in Chemistry, the teacher dares to stray off and explains the chemical composition of say, Ziegler-Natta catalyst in any detail, there's bound to be at least one student going "what the fuck are we learning this for? Follow the syllabus, bitch".

Hence we don't learn to learn, we learn for marks, QED.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw. so saddening.

Anonymous said...

I would be happy if this was true for me
but I am plagued by the wikipedia syndrome, when I go on wiki to search something up and end up reading for an hour or two

~cloudier said...

at least your teacher follows the syllabus and then sometimes gives you extra information
our teacher doesn't even give us the luxury of going through the basics before getting onto (or rather giving us plenty of sheets on), for example, what the recycling numbers on plastic bottles mean

and well, is it a bad thing we go to a nsw school to learn about stuff for the hsc? it's unlikely that any version of the board of studies could make a syllabus that caters to everyone's tastes

jwhero said...

@anon 1
Can't tell if serious or bad troll

@anon2
I've done that but rarely about phys, chem, bio, math, english. (in other words, school stuff)
Usually wiki explanations involve much grander concepts that I am capable of understanding.
I do however read science articles that pop up in Pulse News trending, but sometimes they mention shit that I have nfi is going on as well.

@cloudier
I should clarify that the example I identified was not a real life example - it mirrors a real life example. My Chem teacher leaves a lot of syllabus to be self-studied.
Don't know what's worse - my situation or yours :L

While I agree that going to a NSW high school has the ultimate goal of completing the HSC syllabus, it's sad to see people who learn for marks only and hence presumably not because they like it.

Post a Comment