dynamo

http://dynamo.dictionary.com/word-dynamo-challenge

This is a vocab testing game. The crossword is bloody impossible cos the hints are vague - the game I suggest is the "match" gameplay where it actually tests your vocabulary.

I played a couple of the quizzes and found out that Dictionary.com estimates my vocab to be 30,000+ words at the moment. I'll give a more accurate number later if I finish all the quizzes.

But there are so many different ways of considering "types of vocabulary", each as interesting as the other. I've organised in roughly from largest volume to smallest volume.

Recognise as an English word [I can't think of an example of a really weirdly spelt word that I have no idea how to spell, but I could've said "mmhmm heard that as a word before"]
Recognise and can spell [e.g. obsequious is a word I knew and recognised as English, but I really had no idea what it meant]
Recognise and know the meaning if prompted [This is what the Word Dynamo game assesses, >30,000]
Can spell, know the meaning if prompted [Probably slightly less, at 30,000 flat]
Recognise and know the meaning without prompts [Dramatically less - low 20,000's]
Can spell and know the meaning without prompts [20,000 flat]
Use the word in writing such as in essays [Probably something like 15,000]
Use the word in every day speech [Can't be much more than 10,000]


I don't even read over these posts anymore. Year 12 is quite draining =O

0 comments:

Post a Comment