miration

Those people on Formspring or other sites where people may ask questions or comment either anonymously or behind a username that is similarly anonymous...

Those people that defaultly answer "I love you" to every compliment, or in extreme cases, just any comment - It's really really fake and seriously it feels so... IT'S A FREAKING STRANGER. DO YOU KNOW WHAT LOVE IS? Every time I see one of these Formsprings or, to a lesser extent, the tumblrs I check out for surveys/links from people for funky photos... Every time I see one of these I have a little facepalm and a little gag reflex. Seriously you'd think they had been chomped by a Dementor, the way their answers are set to a specific formula of:

(Optional: Aww) thanks, you're [compliment given, or synonym] too! [I love you]/[You're amazing]/[You're beautiful] [Generic emoticon].

It's nice to pretend you like someone you don't know, but a robot response isn't the way. I guess it makes sense for celebrities to, cos they have:
a) No time
b) No interest in being friends with you whatsoever
c) Probably hired someone who answers for them
d) Too much money to give half a shit
e) The expectation that they will say certain things

Which makes it all the more terrible if you answer like this on your own personal Formspring or tumblr. Like, you have your own freaking personality, so use it. You could always make more friends, so try by being interesting instead of blindly and fakely complimenting. You also don't love them. I must stress that.

Like not hating on Taylor Swift personally but her Formspring is like... if words could be made out if plastic, that's exactly what her Formspring reads to me.

So my message is - be a real person and I'll like you.


On a related note about compliments and admiration - the difference in boys and girls. This isn't as sexist as you might think it could be :L

A funny thing I've noticed is that girls can often say personal compliments, like "omg you're so pretty", or "omg you're so nice", and "you're the best".

Like SHOOT A GUY if you hear him saying that to another guy (especially the first one). But guys don't live without compliments. I was like - so how the shit do guys compliment? I reflect, as well as observed in day to day business, that guys compliment each other's possessions, but never their person. Like, "hey your story is really cool", "omg cool joke", "I found your answer to this question very good!"

Not to say girl's don't participate in this kind of pseudocompliments, but I think they would just say "omg you're so good at English!", "ahhh you're so funny", and "YOU'RE SO SMART OMG OMG OMG" respectively. It's just so much direct and at the same time, so much more awkward in bro talk :L

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"you're story is really cool"

YOU'RE?

I am disappointed in you, Jeff.

jwhero said...

OH NOEZ
Will edit.

Was stuck in a rut, typing "you're" about 10 times in that bunch of examples xP

Post a Comment