the hell is this?

I was typing up the Othello essay I wrote for the test, to see how many words I could write in 40mins. I came across two comments that I felt should not be there.

A strong focus on appearance is established in Iago’s black and white imagery “an old black ram tupping your white ewe”. Similarly the Duke’s comment “he is far more fair than black.” This polarization of white as good and black as bad reflects the underlying racism present throughout the play, as well as drawing attention to Othello’s race.

Next to "focus on appearance" the marker wrote "race too".
She then read on and found that I did, indeed, mention race, and crossed it out and said "ignore".
I found this disappointing. It isn't really fair that you are bringing your own judgment of the text into your marking. Maybe, my quote is better to prove a different point. But unfortunately my paragraph is not proving that point, so it would be stupid to use the quote for that purpose.
A good essay is somewhat defined by its ability to flow. By pressing your own opinions into each point and going "now why the fuck did they not include that", the flow is broken, but by no fault of the writer. The writer does not even know who marks it, let alone their personal interpretation of the text. There is no way the writer can accommodate for the marker's interruption in flow just because their opinion about a quote differs.
Also notably, I also received "poor interpretation of the poem" in an essay a while back. Suffice to note I only included analyses that my teacher discussed with the class. The marker's intention was to tell me my whole paragraph interpreted the poem incorrectly - I'd like to think that it's not possible to interpret a poem incorrectly, only differently. It wasn't like I made a shittily constructed paragraph - The only comment was that I interpreted it "wrong". So that was fucked. I really lost faith in the cohesion of the English subject - It was subjective at the best of times... but really?

Nextly I have an issue with another part in my essay
In Shakespeare’s tragedy Othello, many universal human flaws are explored, and the timeless nature of these flaws allows for the play to be relevant for all time. The concepts explored include the tendency to allow emotion to override rational thought, the inability to discern appearance and reality, and the blind trust of a man’s reputation.
About this whole conclusion, the marker wrote
? confusing
flaws/concepts
which
Read all of that with a massive mothereffing [sic] next to it. But clearly she is telling me to use "flaws" a third time in a conclusion of 55 words, instead of using a synonym.
Personally I do not see the difference between "flaws" and "these concepts".


And I'm also running as far away as I can from 3U English, after that intro talk that Ms Murphy gave us. I cannot imagine myself writing about Navigating the Global in an essay, so I"m not going to pretend I'm going to try.

0 comments:

Post a Comment