round trip

Yay so I'm like back again and there are quite a few stories to tell, if I can be bothered typing them all up.

Well I'll start off by saying that cruises are an excellent way to travel, in that the service is uber, and there is plenty to do.

Service is great in that they make an effort to remember your names and your preferences. It's hard to explain why that's awesome but it is! And they stop and chat and stuff and are just awesome. And these are photos of cute towel animals that our housekeeper made for us daily!













And there were nightly shows that were not shitty - actually acts that have somewhat made a name for themselves. I also watched Looper in their cinema. It was a lot more convoluted than Inception (seriously wtf  how do you not get Inception) in that JGL ages to Bruce Willis then JGL doesn't get to close the loop the second time (dw these aren't spoilers) and it's like wtf wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff. But I got it after the scene where they talk in the diner and it's all good yay.

Also cocktails are dirt cheap at $7 a pop. Didn't check the beers but probably like $3 - $5 a pint. Seriously, it kinda scared me how consistently these ageing men and women drank throughout the cruise. There was this mixology class that I could sit in on I thought was actually gonna be useful. In actuality, they paid $15 to watch the bartender tell them what ingredients go in their cocktails as the bartender makes a double vodka lemon drop and two other overpoured cocktails to get them all drunk. That's actually really good value under the guise of learning. However, even though the bartender is putting two parts vodka one part creme de cacao, that makes drinks for more than one person. Also, he lets it sit for about a minute or two before even shaking. To the untrained eye, that looks like a lot of alcohol. To me, they are just gonna get a vodka-tasting cocktail that has been watered down too much :P. Still, it might be around 1.2x what the normal serving of ABV in the cocktail is, so yay! However, suffice to say I didn't go to another one of those classes.

Oh I also need to mention at this point that the legal drinking age on the line I sailed on is 21, so sadly missed out on cheap ethanol. Also they use some rail brands of vodka and other liqueurs that look dodgy as all fuck. I smirked when one of the people who paid for the course asked what brand of vodka the bartender was using, as if that's what you should be mixing with at home :L

Allow me to insert an anecdote now. There was this table adjacent to us that ordered wine every evening. In fact, this was almost every table except for ours, but irrelevant. Anyway they were Asian (Malay, I think) and the dude gets Asian flush. Now they could understand English, so I can't say "lol look how drunk the guy on the next table is". So I coded it to my brother "There is an increased amount of long wavelength visible light being emanated from the individual on the adjacent table". I had to repeat it a few times, but he got it eventually :L. So then the next day my bro said "The wavelength gently grows...", at which point some of you might follow up with "Coercive notions re-evolve", and identify it as MK Ultra by Muse. So then the intro tune of this song was hummed to indicate drunkenness. That's 4 layers of encryption yo: drunk->red->longer wavelength light->the wavelength gently grows->humming the tune of MK Ultra. Pretty much unbreakable. It was of note that he was drunk because the first night he started hugging the waiter after dinner and it was kinda embarrassing ahaha.

American duty free is also superior to Australian duty free. Where the hell else can you buy a 1L bottle of Glenfiddich 12yo for $36? I say, $36!!

I also had to rush my uni offer acceptance in netcafes on shore (the internet on the ship was satellite - slow and expensive) and that was a great adventure that led to me being separated from my parents for a good hour or two - will tell the story later.

I just weighed myself and I did not gain a single kilo after eating 5 course dinners daily. This is actually kinda sad for me cos I don't wanna be a stick forever :L. For the record I did nothing throughout the day and played Galaxy on Fire II on my iPhone if I'm not on shore. Also, did you know that the entree is the main course. Wtf I always thought that the appetiser was the entree fucking paradigm shift.

I also need to complain about how people drink cocktails and champagne and red wine (yes. all of them) but I'll do that in the next post.

Note to self of future posts: glassware, separation in Napier, souvenirs/duty free, rosemary dude, UAC times + deadline.

0 comments:

Post a Comment