hold my own and drive

I just went on the most hardcore drive I've ever been on, and probably won't encounter another in my 120h.

I drove to Macquarie. As you may be aware, the rain was pouring down in levels approaching "torrential". It was okay while I was driving towards Macq. While I was in there, there was this massive flash while I was driving around Macq Uni. I thought there was a speed camera (I was driving about 20k's in a shared zone because I swear to God nobody has the patience to drive at fucking 10k's in a shared zone. And 5k's in a shopping centre. What the ridiculous). So I was like "shit what was that". And then there's this motherfucking thunder that exploded and shook the car. So that was pretty fun.

The unfun part was driving in a swimming pool. Sorry it wasn't a swimming pool it was just lots of rain. Visibility was epic - I had a truck in front of me, and the lights from the truck dilated and started looking like red lights. I had to double check all the lights at each junction to make sure I was looking at an actual light. If there was around 10 red lights, I can assume I have to stop. If there were only 2 or 3, I am in the clear (Y).
As well as the traffic lights not being clear, headlights were also magnified to "supernova", and I followed (RUH I think)'s guide to not look at cars directly.
Something we take for granted - seeing the fucking lane lines - was a no go in this weather. Luckily Australia has reflectors on the road. But some times the government clearly did not care enough for some roads, and had to drive at 40-50km/h to a) see the lines b) steer within those lines.

In addition, the noise was fucking insane. Can't hear anything. Can't hear approaching cars and can't hear the clicking of the indicator lights. Changing lanes is retarded cos you can't see out the rear windows so I was lucky it was at night time where if I was not blinded by headlights, it means there's no-one in my blind spot (har har).

And 4WD's are fucking assholes in the rain :L. They go like 20k's faster than everyone else (which basically is the speed limit in an 80 zone) and sail through it while the other 2WD's look on enviously at their superior torque or traction whatever it is that stops them from sliding and hitting a pole. And dying.

In a hilly part near West Ryde there was a puddle at the valley. Needless to say I didn't slow down to a ridiculous 20km/h. However that did mean the car chassis impacting against the water created a nice tsunami for the opposing lane. Karma struck when later another car tsunami'd me. Out of instinct I turned my face away before realising that windscreens are a good invention for preventing drivers from going blind. I wonder how many times I need to have my windscreen splashed before my natural reaction to dodge water goes away. And how angry I will be in everyday life when I don't have a windshield and forgot to have a reaction to water flying at my face.

Woop it's raining again. I like that it dropped a couple degrees within 5 seconds of the rain hitting the ground. The air smells so fresh =D

2 comments:

yunskees said...

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAH I DROVE TOO BUT AN HOUR BEFORE THE RAIN

jwhero said...

It was fun though! Definitely one of the things you should try before you die.

You'd be a very lucky woman if you managed to drive for the rest of your life and not encounter heavy rain :L

Post a Comment