things to love while driving

Here are things that bring inexplicable yet unconditional joy, all while behind the wheel.

1) Power assisted braking
Sometimes when I drive and stop, I don't press down fully on the brake, and only hold it as hard as I need to stay in one spot (very naughty, I know). But in this state, while stationary, the engine does a little extra rev thing and then the brake pedal sinks under my feet even though I applied no extra pressure.
Also, after the engine is off, I sometimes pump my brakes until the residual vacuum in the booster is expended and it becomes really hard to press the brake. Just to see what it was like in the olden days before all these fancy schmancy gadgets.

2) New roads
I don't know the materials, but there're light grey road surfaces and dark grey, almost black road surfaces. Maybe one is just aged and the other isn't. I don't know.
But when the car travels from a light grey road to a black road at decent speeds (>60km/h), for a split second it goes so quiet that it feels like the car is floating. That is awesome.

3) Blinking in unison
When I'm stuck in traffic I like to watch all of indicator lights blink. I try to find two that have the exact same frequency, even if out of phase, but that has never happened.
Equally as fun is watching lights appear in sync for 3 flashes, then mumbo jumbo syncopation, then they appear to be alternating for 3 flashes, syncopation again, and rinse and repeat. Well perhaps not fun per se, but just keeps me sane

4) Under the bridge
Driving in heavy rain, and then going underneath an overpass or other type of bridge, and there's sudden silence. It's even better when you don't notice that there's an overpass and for a split second the lack of H2O pounding on your chassis confuses you, and then instantly you Sherlock what has transpired.

5) I will be still alive
When you zone out hard while driving, and when you arrive you step out and you're alive and you're like "fuck yeah".
Mm that's it, because life is precious. And you still have yours.

0 comments:

Post a Comment